Our Practice

We handle administrative and regulatory work related to land use and environmental issues. We also handle Planning Commission and Zoning Board cases, City and County Council hearings, and state agency cases. We work in state circuit and appellate courts and administrative law courts.

Our Work Includes:

  • Administrative and Regulatory Disputes
  • Annexation Cases
  • Boundary Disputes
  • Condemnation Cases
  • Conservation Easements
  • Constitutional Claims: Due Process/Equal Protection/Regulatory Takings
  • Construction Litigation
  • Environmental and Land Use Permitting
  • Homeowner's Association Disputes
  • Land Subdivision Issues
  • Wetlands Issues
  • Zoning Matters: Variances/Zone Changes
    and Appeals/Special Exceptions/Conditional Uses

Contact Us

Melinda Lucka Kelley
(Of Counsel)

Physical address:
4000 Faber Place Suite 450
North Charleston, S.C. 29405
Main: (843) 214-8266
Facsimile: (843) 405-1319



Helpful Information

Applying for city and county development permits, and what to do when you are told that your proposed use is not allowed:

Each municipality and County that regulates the preservation and/or development of land in South Carolina is required by law to have a comprehensive plan, a set of zoning laws, and laws that control the subdivision of land...Click here to read more.

Applying for OCRM Permits, Land Disturbance permits, and Stormwater certifications:

Many construction projects in the coastal areas of South Carolina require not only city or county zoning approval prior to carrying out plans for development, but also approval...

Click here to read more.

Applying for annexation into a municipality:

Land may be annexed upon submitting a written petition to the municipality that you desire to join. It is important to understand the pros and cons of annexation prior to making the formal request to annex... Click here to read more.

Appealing government Commission/Board/Council decisions:

If you have had a zoning proposal or a permit request denied by a state or local government agency, there is a window of time... Click here to read more.

How can the South Carolina vested rights laws affect you?

The South Carolina legislature adopted “vested rights” laws in 2005, with compliance requirements for all cities and counties that were to be in effect by mid 2005... Click here to read more.

How can your property be preserved from development, and what you can do to minimize the environmental impact of your plans and the plans of developers in your area?

Land can be protected and preserved in several ways. The most permanent way is to execute a conservation easement. Click here to read more.

How can homeowners, business owners and neighborhood organizations participate in the local government planning process?

If you live in an established neighborhood, it is important to create a homeowners’ or property owners’ association (HOA or POA) if there is not one in existence. Click here to read more.